Join us on this exploration of innovation with the great outdoors as our classroom. In this class we will run, build big, go on treasure hunts, design contraptions, make spooky potions and launch rockets as we explore the synergy between science, mathematics, engineering and technology (STEM).
- Water Rocket FabLab: Join us in our outdoor fabrication lab as you construct your water rocket with aerodynamic fins and nose cone.
- Water Rockets: Harness Newton’s Laws of Motion to make your rocket blast off.
- Physics of Frisbees: What gives them lift and rotational stability?
- Marble Roller Coasters: Use design thinking and the physics of energy to make awesome coasters.
- Frac Jack: In a delightful variation of the card game Blackjack, you draw cards with basic fractions and collect wooden fraction “pie” pieces.
- Dry Ice: Spooky potions offer teachable moments about states of matter, respiration, and the properties of carbon dioxide.
- Measure it Like Metcalf: Join us on a math/engineering treasure hunt as we use a compass and a variation of John Metcalf’s trundle wheel to measure large distances to the hidden clues to the secret treasure.
- Cardio/Pulmonary Fun: Learn about your heart as you make a stethoscope with a variety of materials and put it to the test after you take a run around the field.
- Electrified Spin Art: Basic circuits, mechanical principles and solar energy come together in a colorful way as you wire a low voltage DC motor circuit to create spin art.
- Polyhedra Party: Construct a 20 sided polyhedron known as the icosahedron that is so big you can stand inside it, plus build other large scale 3 dimensional shapes.
Day/Time: Thursdays, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Class Dates: September 19 – December 5
No Class: Nov. 14, Nov. 28
Number of Classes: 10
Class Size: Maximum is 15
Class Fee: $315 (please note this includes a $20 Materials fee).
Instructor: Jay Gluckman. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To report absences or late pick up, contact email@example.com, or call (650) 793-5009.
Las Lomitas League Contact: Kathleen Prince, Co-VP of classes. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jay Gluckman has been a STEAM Educator for two decades. He and his wife Pratima Rao Gluckman co-founded Innovation for Youth as a way to bring a unique and quality brand of art-infused STEM enrichment to the community.